CollegeOnomics eBook

How to get a US Degree while Studying Abroad or Travelling

Enjoy travelling, but want to complete your College? Here is how to a Travelling College!

Posted at 3:30 PM on March, 5 2016


Colleges in many countries make it possible to get quality higher education for little money, atleast in dollar terms. Also, the prestige of having a fully recognized and accredited US college degree is generally high in most parts of the world. Some countries such as the UK or India have 3 year bachelor’s degrees which are very popular. But a bachelor’s degree in the US is always a four year college degree. In a majority of cases, having a four year degree is always viewed by employers to be superior to having a three year college degree. Four year degrees, especially in technology or business studies are considered a professional qualification, whereas three year college degrees are viewed as a more general kind of qualification.

Years ago, a close associate of mine was able to leverage her college studies in a low cost country, to get a fully accredited US college degree. Three year college degrees tend to be less expensive and easier to get admission into, especially in countries where the competition for a college admission is very high. She completed a 3 year college degree and was lucky enough to get an entry level job. Then after some CLEP exams and other courses, she was able to combine all her studies and acquire a four year college degree in Computer science. Having a job helped her fund the additional studies for getting the highly affordable US college degree. Also, since she had to travel to several countries, this process helped her to complete her 4 year US degree from a single college while travelling. She not only wrote several tests and exams, but she was also able to complete several college courses in a classroom setting and apply them toward her US degree.

Foreign credential evaluation is a term used in the United States for evaluating foreign studies for equivalent US level education. There are several such foreign evaluation agencies. Individual colleges tend to have a preferred agency for the foreign credential evaluation for their students. The evaluation results in the awarding of a number of credits for a subject matter/ course/ test, along with a letter grade such as A or B. For foreign courses to be awarded US equivalent college credits, the courses must be recognized by the government of that country as college level courses.

Also, for those in the United States Armed Forces such as the US Army or Navy, it is possible to complete a US College degree while being posted abroad. The US provides its military personnel with good college assistance and funding. For such persons deployed abroad, even if they are situated far away from a college or university, it is still possible to complete a US college degree while living abroad. You could even be deployed on a ship or remote location, as long you carry a computer or some books, and have atleast some intermittent access to the internet or a local college or library, getting a US college degree is very much possible.

For US citizens or residents who enjoy travelling or living abroad, completing college while getting a global perspective is easier than you think. Cost of living in most developing countries is a small fraction of the living expenses in the US. And if you have been prudent enough to save up some dollars, or to get a job locally, or have some other source of funding such as mom and pop pay for some of your college, college life while living abroad can be a breeze. You can stretch every dollar as the cost of living in many developing nations can be about 10 to 20 times lesser than that in the US.

Another important thing is that many developing countries have a foreign student’s quota, a fixed number of college seats that are awarded for foreign nationals. Many even provide a college scholarship, in addition to a college admission. Once you have such a college admission, go ahead and enjoy living in that foreign country. In case of a bit of money shortage, just get a part-time job or save up some dollars before moving abroad. Getting a foreign visa will be a quite easy once you have a college admission or a job offer in that country. Most developing countries also have flexible visa policies that allow foreigners to spend up to 6 months or so on a temporary visa before securing a college admission or a job. After getting the college admission or a job, you can apply for a longer stay visa to cover the duration of your stay there.

Upon completion of a college degree abroad, or even a large number of college level courses, you can submit your transcripts or mark sheets for a foreign credential evaluation. This process many take about 6 weeks, but may take longer in case of the additional time to receive the report via international mail. For faster results, communicate with the credential evaluation agency via email and/or phone. Once this process is complete, you can apply to one of the US colleges which will accept these US equivalent credits for credits transfer to the US College. Transfer of credits toward a US college degree is generally done free of cost. But most colleges limit the number of credits transferred per student. There a few colleges that allow unlimited credits transfer.

In the next few weeks, we will also be releasing an eBook which will provide in depth information on specific US colleges that provide such flexibility. For the self-driven student, the eBook will also provide a start-to-finish blueprint on how to complete an inexpensive US college degree, in a shorter timeframe, and while living anywhere.

Travelling College non-trad motivation non-trads foreign degree military life and issues College Credit Transfer